Nasarawa United player, Chieme Martins slumped and died on Sunday afternoon, March 8, during his team’s tie against Kastina United.
Chieme Martins slumped after a collision with a Katsina United player, on Sunday afternoon. He was rushed to Dalhatu- Araf Specialist Hospital in Lafia where he was pronounced dead.
His teammates went on to win the game with a score of 3-0, but a video of them crying after the incident has gone viral.
AGONY! Nasarawa United players in tears after Chieme Martins was confirmed dead after Sunday’s NPFL clash vs Katsina United. Martins slumped following a collision, however, he gave up the ghost stranded as the Peugeot 406 ambulance stationed match venue did not start 😭🕯️😭😭🕯️ pic.twitter.com/PbIms2NkXP
— Shina Oludare 🇳🇬 (@sportingshina) March 8, 2020
Meanwhile Cool FM Sportscaster, Buchi who also confirmed the incident, claimed that there was no medical team at the stadium where the football match was played in.
According to Buchi, the late Nasarawa United player was rushed to the hospital in a press crew vehicle.
– Chieme Martins of Nassarawa United has died after a collision with a Katsina Utd player earlier today in the NPFL.
– Nassarawa United Players Crying
– Player was rushed to the hospital and died there.
– No Medical Attention at the Stadium!! Like no Ambulance in an official NPFL game
– Player was rushed to the Hospital in a press Crew Vehicle in 2020
– R.I.P Chieme Martins
Your club and the League failed you.