A fourth confirmed case of COVID-19 in Enugu has emerged.
This means 4 cases have tested positive in Enugu, 2 have been discharged and now 2 are currently positive.
This new case is a 39 year old who used to live and work in Lagos.
Recently this person travelled back to Enugu on the 22nd of April, took ill subsequently and reported to a mission Hospital in the state.
Staff of the hospital alerted the State COVID 19 response team days later and samples were taken on the 29th of April which have turned out to be positive today 1st May 2020. This new case is not a contact of the 3rd case.
Thus far cases reported in Enugu have had positive travel history.
Greater vigilance at the ports of entry into Enugu State is advised. We are now reporting cases that are not primary contacts of confirmed cases.
The Enugu State Ministry of Health continues to recommend to the good people of Enugu State, the following:
1. Stay at home as much as you can.
2. Use a clean cloth mask daily if you have to go out
3. Do not touch the front of the mask while wearing it
4. Remove your mask only from both ears at the same time
5. Wash your cloth mask, dry and iron it everyday
8. Maintain respiratory hygiene when you have to cough or sneeze
9. Maintain social/physical distancing always
10. Wash your hands as often as you can with soap and running water
11. When you can’t wash your hands use an alcohol based hand sanitizer frequently.
Call these numbers if you think you may have or know someone who may have Covid-19 symptoms, 08182555550 or 09022333833, or the NCDC number 080097000010
If I do these, I protect you and if you do these, you protect me.
Obi Emmanuel Ikechukwu
Commissioner for Health, Enugu State.